Welcome to SBH
Thanks for stopping by the bear cave and checking it out. Being serious all the time is un-bear-able, so we have added a great comic strip at the bottom of page for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave your thoughts,or shoot us an e-mail with the link to the right. We'd love to hear from all the creatures in the forest.

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Sanctified Scat

I have picked up an old question again. A question that my friends and I used to have fun debating in bible college. The debate circles around the concepts of free will and predestination. This conflict between those of God's elect Churches (Calvinist) and evangelistic minded Churches(Arminianist) is enough to make God himself sick to his stomach, I think. To be honest, I am extremely sorry I picked this one up again. There is much to-do about it at a blog called Team Pyro. I have also shared here that I am currently reading a book called "The forgotten ways." In this book, a statement is made about........, well I think I will just write the passage.

"Why this was syncretism and not just political expedience is that the vast
majority of whites in South Africa lived under a very religious, Calvinist
code-they are a deeply religious people (there are traffic jams getting to
church on Sunday). It was the theologians who gave apartheid its original
legitimacy and sustaining authority." Alan Hirsch (The Forgotten
Ways),Brazos Press,pg98.
Wow, what a statement. So far I really like Alan's book. And I can see his point about how far is to far when talking about incarnational missionary mindsets.What I like is Alan's focus on christocentric monotheism as a guide. He uses the apartheid as a sample of how a surrounding culture intrudes on the lordship of Jesus and his exclusive claim over all aspects of our lives. He recognizes, as I do, the need for sound theology throughout the missional movement. But to take the stance of "I got mine" your on your own, maybe God will elect you too, is crazy, no?

What really gets me upset is that this debate between predestination and freewill has become extremely destructive, beyond my wildest dreams. Can we be so blinded by our arrogance that we still today reject others because of their difference? Can educated "Godly" men create an environment of rejection and hate? If you think that they can not, or wont, just read the christian stuff posted at Team Pyro (mind you that many of these guys are pastors). Here is the kicker, The Team Pyro guys (Calvinist) are the victims of unbelievable slander from the other side. Hell reading that stuff makes me want to say that I have nothing to do with either theology. I am thinking more of going with the " faith of a child" theology. Is the love that Christ talked about dead and gone; buried by theology? Come on people, get a grip, your destroying the church. Is it really to hard for us to love our brothers? Can we not just share our lives and let God sort it out? I am at a lose on how we can become so hateful to each other. It is just unbelievable to me.

6 comments:

Talking Bear said...

Here is a great link, and a look at this on-going debate.

http://www.internetmonk.com/archive/passive-or-passionate-francis-chan-and-the-god-of-the-gospel-offer

Talking Bear said...

Another good look at this issue
http://puritanreformed.blogspot.com/2007/01/just-stop-and-think.html

Anonymous said...

Oh man! I don't like reading stuff with $50 words. "chrictocentric monotheism"... are you kiddin me? I guess that means "Large centered rock in a Creek" or something like that. Am I close?

Talking Bear said...

Anon, well first of all I am trying to decide if your comment is sarcastic or if you are actually looking for understanding of the term. As a rule I do not respond to sarcastic comments. The term is Christocentric monotheism.

Christ- (Son of God)
Centric-(pertaining to or situated at the center; central.)
Mono-(One; single; alone)
Theism-(the belief in one God as the creator and ruler of the universe, without rejection of revelation)-(distinguished from deism).

Barrett, M said...

I posted a comment at Pyromaniacs the other day. I said something like "Hey, lets try feeding the poor or give money to someone who hates Christians instead of arguing endlessly about Spurgeonisms and Armenianisms and Calvinisms."

Anyway, the deleted my comment. Kind of funny they would rather stand in the back room of a virtual church and argue endlessly about theology rather than go do something. I did ask this question on the post "What is a greater heresy, not having the right theology of Jesus or not doing anything for the poor and needy?" They didn't like that either. DELETE.

Oh well, Lets go do something ourselves and not worry about them anyway. Peace.

Talking Bear said...

Hi Mr. Barrett. I saw your post at pyro. I honestly think they have some valued insight and input into the mix, but I DO NOT agree with the harsh tones in the comments, nor the replies that cut. I myself will not degrade another brother like that. I can disagree politely, respect a different viewpoint, and bless them anyway, but I just can not rip apart another Christian no matter what they believe.

Kool Music & Extreme Adventure Risk Video Search

Loading...
Loading...

What moves my soul lately


(use the widget scroll bar to view more strips)

Subscribe to SBH via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Site Meter
Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro