Welcome to SBH
Thanks for stopping by the bear cave and checking it out. Being serious all the time is un-bear-able, so we have added a great comic strip at the bottom of page for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave your thoughts,or shoot us an e-mail with the link to the right. We'd love to hear from all the creatures in the forest.

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Driving our past into our future.

Do we have a choice in deciding how our past effects our future? I believe we do have a choice in this arena. The question is, what level of understanding do we need to have about our past to positively shape our future? Does knowing what made me so, help me understand and move me towards who I want to be?

Accepting how I formed my self concept as a child, coupled with understanding how I nurtured that belief into adulthood, and learning how to reconcile what I have become compared to who I wanted to be can be an exhausting adventure. A great person once said " if we do not learn our history, we are doomed to repeat it". Do I have the ability to go back in time, as it were, and change my childhood beliefs about me and the world I live in? How will those changes play out in who I become tomorrow?

Here lies my challenge about choosing beyond my understanding. I want to change certain aspects of the past, but the more I learn and understand about my past, I am not so sure I have yet gained the understanding needed to choose the correct beliefs to address. Or, if the beliefs I think I should change, will produce the results I would like to see in my life tomorrow.

I have formed the opinion that this is a process that we should be constantly cycling through. Honing our self concept by a constant examination of the past reconciled with the future. However, I am very aware of the fact that there are certain issues, or events, hidden in the past that should stay hidden and forgotten. There are some events that have occurred in the past without our permission. If we allow these negative events to be apart of our self measure we may bring ourselves to a very negative result.

So, I find myself picking the best of me, discarding that which brings negativeness into my life, measuring it with who I want to be, and building new self concepts based on a life lived at the best I can possibly make it. I can choose not to allow the negative past to dictate my future. For example, if I want to see myself as a winner, I focus on every thing in my past that I believe I walked away as a winner. I began to feel and think like a winner, I become a winner. What do you think about this?

0 comments:

Kool Music & Extreme Adventure Risk Video Search

Loading...
Loading...

What moves my soul lately


(use the widget scroll bar to view more strips)

Subscribe to SBH via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Site Meter
Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro