Welcome to SBH
Thanks for stopping by the bear cave and checking it out. Being serious all the time is un-bear-able, so we have added a great comic strip at the bottom of page for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave your thoughts,or shoot us an e-mail with the link to the right. We'd love to hear from all the creatures in the forest.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

What's in a dream that makes them so powerful?


Several years ago my wife dragged the family to a "highlands games" near the coast. The kids and I were dreading this endeavour, however, it was a "dream" of my wife's to attend one of these events, so we all went. My youngest had just started to play the violin, so she became excited to find a "kids" group playing violins and insisted we go see them play. The group was called Celtic Spring, and they are good. You may have caught them on NBC's America's Got Talent show. Well, after seeing this group preform, Madison declares that her dream is to be able to play like them. Now, I am not one to take dreams lightly. Sometimes a parent is thinking things that a parent should not say. But, I encouraged her, and then we went and got some cotton candy to make the madness go away.

Fast forward a few years, as the President of a foundation I was wrestling with the idea of producing a fundraising concert. I knew nothing of such events. Over the course of time, I had met a band called Silent Planet and had hired them for some private events. Dan, from Silent Planet, encouraged me to produce a concert, so I did. I had hired both Silent Planet and Celtic Spring to perform at this event.

Well, when Madison realized that Celtic Spring was going to be playing, her excitement went through the roof. All she could talk about was getting to meet them and talk to them. The day of the concert came and I had to be at the theater to help over see the set up, more like answer questions to which I had no idea about. I had this wild idea to take Madison with me that morning just to let her see what went on in preparing for a show. Celtic Spring took her in like she was one of them. She ran around all day with them. Long story short, They had asked her to bring her violin to the evening show. They worked with her and prepared her to play with them during the grand finale. What a treat. She played one song, on stage, with her musical role models. For her, in that moment, her dream had come true. For me, I learned a huge lesson about dreams. Chasing dreams are about seeking, or creating, opportunities for your dreams to unfold.

We pray for this and that but we often rarely act on the opportunities presented. Dreams are meant to be grabbed. I was teaching a leadership class recently and this topic came up. We ask a question, "If children live their dreams, what do adults live?" The answer is always the same. Adults live reality! The discussion rapidly moves into the compromises made and the responsibilities that force those compromises. A question came up about why some dreams are never realized. I stated, much to some folks dismay, that the reason some dreams are not realized is because we were never really committed to them to start with. That went over like a fart in church. But when you think about it, the dreams we walk away from, we are not committed to. We assess the cost or commitment needed to get there and we walk away from it.

But then there are those dreams that grab on to us and will not let go. There is something within that dream that just wont let go. It nags at our inner most being. We will forfeit almost everything to achieve it. In some case everything is forfeited in the pursuit. What is it, what is in the recipe of a dream that would cause us to do such a thing? What kind of dream is consuming you? How many dreams have you walked away from because the cost was too much? How many opportunities have you missed? And most of all, how many times have you failed to create opportunities for others to achieve their dreams? I know I have been guilty of all of these things. My youngest has taught me more than I think I will ever teach her about dreams and opportunity.
Thoughts?

1 Comment:

storyteller said...

I've let dreams slide in the past ...(I was told early and often by my mom dreams are dangerous)... but that's changing gradually. The older I get, the younger I feel ... and now I'm forcing nothing, and holding nothing back.

Because I believe that what we think about expands in our lives, these are two quotes that I carry with me in my heart and mind these days as I step forth with faith and determination to follow MY dreams at last:
"Things are only impossible until they're not." Jean-Luc Picard in Star Trek: The Next Generation
and
"You are never given a wish without also being given the power to make it true." Richard Bach

Thanks once again, Talking Bear, for your timely story and poignant questions.
Hugs and blessings,

Kool Music & Extreme Adventure Risk Video Search

Loading...
Loading...

What moves my soul lately


(use the widget scroll bar to view more strips)

Subscribe to SBH via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Site Meter
Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro