Welcome to SBH
Thanks for stopping by the bear cave and checking it out. Being serious all the time is un-bear-able, so we have added a great comic strip at the bottom of page for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave your thoughts,or shoot us an e-mail with the link to the right. We'd love to hear from all the creatures in the forest.

Sunday, November 25, 2007

The future is predetermined by the character of those who shape it. (part 2)

A Pacific Institute instructor once said to me"If you want to change the world, change yourself." As the course went on, we explored the foundations of our belief systems. The class was asked "why do you believe what you believe?" I was never asked that question before that day. Wow, as I started to do the old mental"Rolodex" of my beliefs I soon realized that I had many beliefs that I had assumed over the years. I had been carrying around beliefs in my mind that I had not made a conscious choice to form. As it turns out, according to the cognitive behavior gurus, these beliefs that I hold so dear in no small part from my self concept, my attitudes, my success and failures, and ultimately my character. So wanting to do well in life, like we all do, I started to take a very serious inventory of my beliefs and how I formed them. Once I realized that I have the power to rewrite, relearn, and reassess my beliefs, I began to discard many ignorant ones and replace them with educated beliefs. I now realize that this is going to be an ongoing process for the rest of my life.

The first step was to understand the filters that caused me to form such ignorant beliefs. There are many out there. Some we can control and some that we were just born into, (see diagram above). These filters, will bias our perceptions of reality, if we let them. It is here, in this moment of choice, that we begin to choose our character and predetermine our future. The tricky part is that this process of defining ourselves and our future is going to happen either consciously or subconsciously. For me, if my beliefs are going to have such a drastic effect on my future, I would rather make the choice consciously, wouldn't you? But many people do not want to examine their beliefs. They choose to remain fooled by the many filters in front of them. Sometimes this is because of tremendous emotional hurt that is stored in some beliefs. But for those who venture into their own darkness, explore the reasons they believe in what they believe, the future is theirs to shape if they dare. So, why do you believe in what you believe?

Thoughts?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very shorts, simple and easy to understand, bet some more comments from your side would be great

Talking Bear said...

What would you like to know????

Anonymous said...

wonderful post, thank you.

Kool Music & Extreme Adventure Risk Video Search

Loading...
Loading...

What moves my soul lately


(use the widget scroll bar to view more strips)

Subscribe to SBH via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Site Meter
Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro