Welcome to SBH
Thanks for stopping by the bear cave and checking it out. Being serious all the time is un-bear-able, so we have added a great comic strip at the bottom of page for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave your thoughts,or shoot us an e-mail with the link to the right. We'd love to hear from all the creatures in the forest.

Saturday, December 15, 2007

The gift of Love

Recently, there was a challenge on the "blogosphere" asking for fellow bloggers to write about their all time best Christmas gift. Today during my 180 mile commute, for some unknown reason, this challenge came to mind. So, with a few minutes on my hands, I let my mind roam a life time of wonderful gifts unwrapped during this time of year. After flipping through over four decades of memories, I settled on something that I think I will hold up high as my all time favorite.

Twenty years ago during this time of year I was looking forward to tying the proverbial knot. Christmas, that year did not even register on the Richter scale of life. I was young, in love, and about to be wed to my best friend. We had dreamed of doing all kinds of stuff together and we had no doubt, bought whole heartily into the "happier ever after" sold in fairy tales. How do you wrap that kind of present?

Looking back over the years I can honestly say, that was the best gift I have ever been given. Sure we have had our sagas. We have had our heated disagreements, and there is no such thing as "happier ever after". But every sunrise is like getting that wonderful gift again, and again. I have learned that my gift of Love is much more than butterflies in the tummy, or happiness and contentment day in and day out. The love I unwrapped twenty years ago is more like steadfastness in times of turmoil, commitment in time of doubt, acceptance when rejection is all around, not quiting, when quiting seems to be the only answer. There is no fairy tale ending involved. I now know what " in sickness and health, for richer or poorer, till death do us part" really means and feels like. I now know that this gift, given twenty years ago, has more value today then I could have ever imagined. No matter how it is wrapped, the gift of Love given to me by my wife is the greatest gift I have ever received. As I thought about this gift today, I realized that this is exactly what this season is about. The gift of Love.

Thoughts?

7 comments:

storyteller said...

Ohmygosh! You commute 180 miles? Daily? Round trip or each way? You need to find a job closer to home or figure out how to work from your bear cave because no one should be spending that kind of time on the road! Sheesh.

Okay ... now to what I really came to say. No wait … one more thing before I forget and THEN what I came to say. Thanks for visiting my blog last night. I was worried the FeedBurner changes had me "lost in cyberspace" or something worse ... and it's good to find a post here this morning because it seems like a long time since you've ambled out of SBH to spark some controversy.

That said ... your wife is one lucky woman! (Of course, it's obvious you're one lucky fella too). I'm glad you found one another and recognize the gifts of your relationship. Reminds me of something from A COURSE IN MIRACLES ... "Whatever the question, love is the answer."

Happy Holidays to you and yours my furry virtual friend.
Hugs and blessings,

Talking Bear said...

That is a round trip total, if I get to stay in the north metro area. If I have to go further south, which I do some times, it is farther and I often just get a hotel room for the night. One might ask why make that drive? I get paid GOOD money, have GREAT benefits, work with some OUTSTANDING people, and I get to be a part of something that will/is effect/ing Los Angeles and the Nation. In fact, I am getting paid to do many of those items on your list of “if I couldn’t fail”.

I feel kind of odd about the perception of sparking controversy. I do see your point. I just think about a lot of things and ask questions about those thoughts. I am learning not to lead a life that is in conflict with my convictions. I also am learning that those convictions may not be founded on real truth. So I end up in a loop of controversial questions that many would wish never asked, I guess. Anyway, we found each other while rock climbing hundreds of miles away from our homes. One might say it was fate. I feel in love at first sight, she took some time to warm up to me. She wanted nothing to do with a military guy and I oozed Marine Corps. Long story short, the Navy Seal that was dating her lost out next to a Marine, OOOH-RAAAA! ;)

storyteller said...

A marine? I'm not sure why that surprises me, but it does. I'm glad you won out over the Navy seal. You two seem to make a great pair.

LOL -- you didn't see my tongue in cheek this morning re: controversy? Actually, I'm known for doing much the same thing in my circles ... more so when I worked. Seems like I was always shaking up the "status quo" ... irritating some, inspiring others, and getting laughs from the balcony (frequently taking bows I might add).

These all seem like excellent reasons to me ... and if the drive gives you time to come up with posts like THIS one and make a difference ... more power to ya!
Hugs and blessings,

Peajay said...

Truly, you have the heart of a poet.

Talking Bear said...

Thank you PJ. You are a sweety yourself. Now if I can only get Mel to talk with that lovely twang of yours I will be in heaven.....LOL

Peajay said...

Thank you TB. Your own twang is kinda sexy too. ;D

His Girl Friday said...

:DDDDDDDDxxx

Kool Music & Extreme Adventure Risk Video Search

Loading...
Loading...

What moves my soul lately


(use the widget scroll bar to view more strips)

Subscribe to SBH via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Site Meter
Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro