Welcome to SBH
Thanks for stopping by the bear cave and checking it out. Being serious all the time is un-bear-able, so we have added a great comic strip at the bottom of page for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave your thoughts,or shoot us an e-mail with the link to the right. We'd love to hear from all the creatures in the forest.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The turning away

I find it interesting how you can listen to a song for years, then, in a given moment, you hear the song. Yesterday, as I was driving around listening to my radio, for the first time I heard Pink Floyd's "on the turning away" song. As I listened to the profound words I realized that this group created a song about a pivotal issue in our society, and in my own life; the turning away from the need.

"On the turning away
From the pale and downtrodden
And the words they say
Which we wont understand
Dont accept that whats happening
Is just a case of others suffering
Or youll find that youre joining in
The turning away

Its a sin that somehow
Light is changing to shadow
And casting its shroud
Over all we have known
Unaware how the ranks have grown
Driven on by a heart of stone
We could find that were all alone
In the dream of the proud

On the wings of the night
As the daytime is stirring
Where the speechless unite
In a silent accord
Using words you will find are strange
And mesmerized as they light the flame
Feel the new wind of change
On the wings of the night

No more turning away
From the weak and the weary
No more turning away
From the coldness inside
Just a world that we all must share
Its not enough just to stand and stare
Is it only a dream that therell be
No more turning away?"

I pondered this, this morning, and allowed those woeds to reignite my soul, to realign my passion, and to give me new strength in a tiresome battle. I want to be be apart of a group that does not turn away. I want to be apart of a group that does not find an excuse not to do something. I want a group that searches out the opportunity to face the very life that we fear to touch. I want to be weighed and measured when it is all done, as a man who did not let fear, or ignorance, or hate cause me to turn away.

This is not easy however. And you, the reader, know this in your heart. You know the cost, you have felt the suffering and the pain in this world, but did you turn away? That is your choice and not for me to judge in anyway. I however must allow myself to be accountable for all of my turning away. For every tear that dropped when I could have been there to catch it. For every life that suffered because I not only did nothing, but I turned away.

This will be our judgement, did we turn away when we could have faced our own weakness? Did I allow my life to matter? Or did I turn away when it mattered most? Did I give when giving cost so much? Did I comfort when I was uncomfortable? Was I the unpopular voice in a race for popularity? Who among us search for such purpose? Who wants their life to matter?

Thoughts?

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

thoughtful, compassionate, strong words that all should take a moment to ponder where their hearts are, how are they living?

You have caused me to stop in my busyness and reflect on such matters, TB. I appreciate your steadiness in this; and by your example I have grown in what truly matters, opening up my heart and sharing/giving of self.
There's lots of thoughts and emotions with this, that I don't have time to express....thanks, I have something to dwell on today, and the next, to see where I can stretch and grow.

HGF :)

Kool Music & Extreme Adventure Risk Video Search

Loading...
Loading...

What moves my soul lately


(use the widget scroll bar to view more strips)

Subscribe to SBH via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Site Meter
Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro