Welcome to SBH
Thanks for stopping by the bear cave and checking it out. Being serious all the time is un-bear-able, so we have added a great comic strip at the bottom of page for your enjoyment. Please feel free to leave your thoughts,or shoot us an e-mail with the link to the right. We'd love to hear from all the creatures in the forest.

Monday, May 05, 2008

A Relevant Life?

Recently, a friend of mine has posted a few things on living a relevant life here. This has been one of the issues that constantly plagues me, and Mikes insight has been interesting to follow.

Words like purpose, meaning, worth, relevancy, just to name a few seem to cause much confusion. Not so much in the understanding, but in the execution of such glorious meaning in our lives. What should we pursue to gain this elusive prize with the life we have been given?

Glory, honor, truth, and value are elements we would all like to have in our lives. But when we close our eyes at night and think about who we really are and what we are accomplishing, do we honestly feel like these words are apart of our character? Or, do we feel like we are just getting by, trying to keep up with in a race where we can not show who we really are? When I think about a relevant life, the feeling of suffocating in the subterfuge of life's mascaraed is not part of my vision. So how do we pursue a relevant life honestly, truthfully, and whole heartily without sacrificing all that is important to us. For me, I think I have to start with redefining what is important to me. I have to define that which I validate myself by and with. I do not need to feel important to be relevant. I do not need power and influence to be relevant. In fact it is not even up to me to determine what is relevant for my life. I am to live obedient and stand my post as asked.

The problem with this is that I run the risk of living a boring, bland, and uneventful life. Here is where I think we humans get in trouble. This type of life is just not very thrilling. Therefore I have trouble keeping on course when my whole body is screaming for adventure. I have realized that relevancy does not usually look huge. In fact more often than not, relevancy looks small and obscure. What do you think on this topic, I would love to hear from you about what you feel are the key elements to living a relevant life?

3 comments:

His Girl Friday said...

Hi TB,

you've been tagged:

http://roonthehoosemindthe
dresser.blogspot.com/

Mrs Successful said...

You probably want thoughts more than words SBH but this came to mind when I read your blog.

To Thine Own Self Be True

Yet here, Laertes! Aboard, aboard for shame!
The wind sits in the shoulder of your sail,
And you are stay'd for.
There ... my blessing with thee!
And these few precepts in thy memory
Look thou character. Give thy thoughts no tongue,
Nor any unproportion'd thought his act.
Be thou familiar, but by no means vulgar.
Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried,
Grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel;
But do not dull thy palm with entertainment
Of each new-hatch'd, unfledg’d comrade. Beware
Of entrance to a quarrel but, being in,
Bear't that th' opposed may beware of thee.
Give every man thy ear, but few thy voice;
Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgement.
Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,
But not express'd in fancy; rich, not gaudy;
For the apparel oft proclaims the man;
And they in France of the best rank and station
Are of a most select and generous chief in that.
Neither a borrower, nor a lender be;
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.
Farewell; my blessing season this in thee!

-- William Shakespeare

Anonymous said...

Time for another post, eh, TB?!

I miss your words of wit and wisdom! :)

Kool Music & Extreme Adventure Risk Video Search

Loading...
Loading...

What moves my soul lately


(use the widget scroll bar to view more strips)

Subscribe to SBH via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Site Meter
Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro